Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 1 Day 2 Activity 1

DAY 2: Forest Life

Activity 1: Giants Among Us [4 points]

New Zealand has a really special environment. Many of the plants and trees found in New Zealand are not found anywhere else in the world. These plants and trees are endemic to our country.  In New Zealand, one of the largest and longest living endemic trees is the NZ Kauri tree. Kauri are mainly found in three regions of New Zealand: the Coromandel, Auckland and Northland. The largest Kauri tree in the country is in the Waipoua Forest in Northland. It is called Tāne Mahuta. Some people refer to it as the ‘Lord of the Forest.’
Thousands of people go to visit Tāne Mahuta every year. Would you like to be one of those people who got to see Tāne Mahuta in real life? Why or why not?
On your blog, tell us whether you would like to go and visit Tāne Mahuta one day. Be sure to tell us why you do (or do not) want to visit this endemic tree.

I would like to go and visit the Tane Mahuta one day because:
  • My Friends have been saying that it is a very tall tree.
  • I have seen a man standing in front of it and it is way bigger than him
  • My friends have also been saying that it is pretty wide.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laki,
    I really have seen excellent meanings why you want to meet Tane Mahuta. Maybe you want to check your full stops in your meanings. I would be looking forward to the other tremendous work you have done.
    From Etuale.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hi Laki,
    I really have seen excellent meanings why you want to meet Tane Mahuta. Maybe you want to check your full stops in your meanings. I would be looking forward to the other tremendous work you have done.
    From Etuale.
    Sorry I made another account because I am out of the school and forgot I was in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Etuale,
      Thank you for commenting on my blog! You are also doing a great job!
      I will be looking at your blog and commenting!
      Great Job!

      Delete
  3. Hello again Laki,

    I am delighted to hear that you want to visit Tane Mahuta; one of the largest and longest living endemic trees in NZ. I would also love to visit this magnificent tree so that I can take a picture standing right in front of it. I would look tiny in comparison to the size of this humongous tree.

    I recently found out that Tane Mahuta is approximately 2,000 years old. I wonder what life was like in New Zealand when this tree was just a small seedling. It would have been much different from the modern-day. What do you think?

    Keep up the great work,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laki,
    Great job on completing this activity. I would also want to visit Tane Mahuta one day. Like you said, it is a very big tree and I would like to see how short I am compared to it. What time of the year would you want to visit at? Keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete